top of page

Economically better heating with pellets

A significant plus point of pellet heating systems is their cost-effectiveness!

You heat significantly cheaper and more climate-friendly than with oil or gas, especially in view of the current skyrocketing energy prices.


With wood pellets you heat significantly cheaper and more climate-friendly than with oil or gas, especially in view of the current exploding energy prices.

Wood pellets are made from wood residues and sawdust. Of approximately 23.5 million tons of sawmill by-products and suitable residual wood, only 12 percent was used for pressing pellets in 2021 - so production can be expanded even further. Pellets are mainly produced regionally in Germany. And the raw material wood also largely comes from German forests that are managed sustainably.



Economical heating through subsidy programs

The renovation and modernization of old buildings can be expensive, especially if the owners still pay attention to climate-friendly technology. Owners who still heat with oil or gas are now under particular pressure. However, they can make use of financial premiums and subsidies. Those who want to convert their oil or gas heating system to a pellet heating system benefit from government subsidy programs.

In the case of new buildings, subsidies are based on the German government's current guidelines for efficiency houses. Modern wood energy, such as pellet heating systems, are a component of the overall package here to achieve greater efficiency.


Another advantage of pellet heating systems: Unlike other alternative forms of heating, rising electricity prices hardly affect heating costs with pellet heating systems. This is particularly beneficial to owners of older buildings that do not have integrated underfloor heating or modern radiators. Pellet heating systems can also generate the required heating temperature without consuming much electricity.


Little effort required for conversion

Conversion to a pellet heating system by experienced craftsmen requires little effort. The boiler and tank of old oil heating systems provide enough space for the new pellet heating system and room for a year's supply of pellets. Government grants can also reduce conversion costs.

Pellet heating systems work efficiently

Wood pellets can be used to quickly heat old buildings without underfloor heating or with older radiators. But even in low-energy houses, water-bearing pellet stoves with solar provide the entire heating output. This is because wood pellets have a high thermal efficiency. This means that they convert a very high proportion of the energy present in the pellets into heat. The efficiency of pellet boilers is over 90 to 107 percent for condensing boilers, and up to 95 percent for pellet stoves.

When wood is processed, about 60 percent is lumber used for home and furniture construction. The remaining 40 percent is sawmill byproducts, such as wood residues and sawdust. However, only 12 percent of this was used for pellet production in 2021 - so there is still a lot of room for improvement.


Comments


bottom of page